I had this at a restaurant the other night and I loved it. Here’s the GF recipe:
A.K.’s New Orleans Shrimp & Sausage on Rice
- 1.5 lbs large shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1.5 lbs sausage, sliced in rounds (try Bar-S Classic Smoked Sausage, it’s GF)
- 1 whole green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 whole red, orange, or gold bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped in large pieces
- 1 lb mushrooms, cubed
- 2 cups fresh Parmesan cheese (you can also use Velveeta)
- 6 tbs GF Cajun seasoning (or make your own)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz evaporated milk (or cream)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick butter, sliced
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tbs dry minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs paprika
- 2 tbs salt
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs dry oregano
- 1 tbs dry thyme
- 1 tbs chili powder
On one burner, cook the rice in an adequate amount of water with the minced garlic, salt, and olive oil. Stir occasionally, add additional water if needed.
Shake the shrimp and 3 tbs Cajun seasoning in a zip-lock bag. Refrigerate.
Heat 1 tbs olive oil and sausage in a large skillet on medium high heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the onions and peppers, stir for 2 more minutes. Add the mushrooms, stir for 1 more minute, then add the Worcestershire sauce.
To the skillet, quickly add the evaporated milk, milk, and 3 tbs of cajun seasoning. Stir until the color is consistant. Be sure not to let the milk curdle. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the cheese and stir it while it melts into the sauce. Add water as necessary to prevent the sauce from clumping. Simmer over low heat.
Heat 1 tbs olive oil in another large skillet. Saute the shrimp about 2 minutes on each side, then add them to the sauce mixture.
Ladle the sauce over 1/2 cup of rice. Serve with a green garden salad. Feeds 8.